Sunday, February 24, 2013

nerd alert

it has recently come to my attention that i am a nerd.

i have the glasses to prove it.


but it's ok, because mr. k is a nerd with me.  for fun we do wordsearches. we watch shark week and crocodile documentaries on netflix. we play cards and aggravation. he quizzes me on nfl and nba teams-- i've gotten quite good. i help him with homework and usually find it enjoyable.  recently i've spent many of my hours reading. i bought 6 books on my last trip to barnes & noble... whoopsies.



i am not obsessed with star wars or twilight or anything signaling fanaticism, but i do love learning. some days i miss college-- not the tests and homework but the learning aspect-- of having your universe open with new ideas, history, and age-old theories. science and technology have never been my forte; i can't identify with chemistry and computer nerds but i believe i've earned my own right to nerdicism. i love words--reading them, threading them together on my own, learning their meaning, finding them in puzzles. i also love spending time in the kitchen. my friend once called me a "baking nerd". he joked that it was a good thing i was an excellent baker, otherwise i'd just be a weirdo excited about bundt pans and marzipan.

 in my old age of 23, i'm embracing the nerdiness. are you an unorthodox nerd, too?

No comments: