Tuesday, January 26, 2010

elevator encounter

There are moments when taken from a third party perspective my life is definitive of “surreal”.

Today I had one such incidence that resonated as so incredibly bizarre it only seemed rational to appear through my subconscious in a dream… but there I found myself, living in the moment as conscious as ever.

I am a TA. We have bi-monthly TA meetings. We happen to meet on the 10th floor of the Spencer W. Kimball Tower building, referred to more easily as the SWKT. After the conclusion of our short meeting in the tower us TAs migrated towards the elevators.

Outside the 6 busy elevators congregated Dr. Rich, my current Applied Social Psychology professor whom I had seen just hours earlier, and Dr. Yamawaki, my former Psychology of Gender and Social Psychology professor attired casually in a green t-shirt and jeans listening to her ipod in one ear and to Dr. Rich with the other. She excitedly waved to me and I waved back.

The ding of the elevator signaled the contraption had finally traveled from the depths of the dungeon up to the 10th floor to usher us on our way. The lot of us (TA’s + Dr. Rich and Dr. Yamawaki) squeezed in. Just as I was beginning to grasp the oddity of the situation I noticed that Dr. Reber, my former History of Psychology professor and the professor I am currently TA-ing for had snuck in behind me, as well as another professor and 2 girls I did not know. Thinking the situation could really not get anymore strange I saw a well-dressed man ease into the elevator before the metal slid shut. And who else should it be but Dr. Slife, my professor of Psychology of Personality from last semester.

So here I am in what could only constitute a dream:

***Elevator in a giant tower crammed with people
***Company including:
o Dr. Rich – current Applied Social Psych professor
o Dr. Yamawaki – Psych of Gender and Social Psych professor fall semester
o Dr. Reber – History of Psych professor fall semester and current professor whom I am being a TA for
o Dr. Slife –Psych of Personality professor fall semester
o Another random professor
o 7 of my fellow TAs
o 2 random girls

Mind you I was in the back corner and could observe everything. Suddenly the walls of teacher and student were down -- we chuckled at our close proximity, bumping into each another, and pointed out Dr. Reber “defying social norms” by facing us rather than the elevator doors during our decent to ground level. Somehow that moment morphed into 14 people sharing an elevator rather than our distinctive individual role on campus.

We exited the elevator two by two and went our separate directions, detaching from the moment by bustling off to class or heading home after a long day on campus. It was only a moment. And yet that dreamlike trance stayed with me for a moment longer as I processed what had happened and as I formulated my thoughts of how I would explain it in my blog (because, that event transcends merely thinking about it—it must be blogged about). My explanation does not justify the weirdness of the situation or the subtle change of dynamics in the elevator but then again, what explanation ever justifies anything? Some things you just have to experience.

More to come on surreal and not so real events.

No comments: