Wednesday, August 1, 2012

girlfriend of the year

i had a grandiose, truly brilliant idea-- over-the-top and necessitating high orchestration and secrecy. let's just say if there was a golden globe for girlfriends i would be in the running. swanky celebrities would clutch the sealed, crisp envelope as the contenders' names were read, and after a lengthy drumroll, i would be crowned "girlfriend of the year".  
okay, perhaps that's a bit an exaggeration but here's the story. 

a few weeks ago mr. k was scheduled to go to california to see his boys, kenny chesney and tim mcgraw. unfortunately, as time approached it was evident he wouldn't be able to go. as i sat pondering what i could do to cheer him up with blazing glory the idea dawned on me-- "concert on the beach". if he couldn't get to kenny and tim, i'd bring them {and the beach} to him.
on the afternoon he was originally to depart, i kidnapped him to deer creek resovouire {hey, we don't have beaches in utah so this was my closest bet} and instructed him to shimmy into his swim suit.

i made him turn around while i set up the elaborate spread {in the wind, mind you} of beach towels, kenny & tim {on paint sticks}, a kfc luncheon, rootbeer, mason jars with striped straws, an 'aloha' banner, and an ihome playing kenny & tim. i threw a lei around his neck, handed him the "concert in a bottle", and turned him around to behold the geniusness of his girlfriend.




he was a very, very happy camper.
 

for the 'concert in a bottle' i took his favorite song lyrics and put them together in a letter to him. 

i tried to catch a glimpse of my old life but your face was all i saw--- blue eyes staring through me, baby, what are you doing to me??  i’m not sure how you know the perfect thing to say... when I’ve had just about all I can take, baby you save me.  you stand by me and you believe in me like nobody ever has, so I’ll follow you when the stars go blue.  now i know you have a reckless streak at least a country-mile wide, and running with you is gonna be a real wild ride. ain’t much I can promise you except to do the best i can.  you may be a real bad boy but baby you’re a real good man.

cheesy? I hope you liked your ‘concert in a bottle’.
I like you--sooooooooo much! thanks for being so wonderful and patient with me.









we took a nice dip in the chilly water before the clouds rolled in.

while drying off on the towels i asked him with a sly smile,
"does this make me girlfriend of the year?"
he grinned and kissed me. i'm taking that as a 'yes'. 


now before i get ahead of myself i must say that as far as boyfriends go, mr. k is boss. he is the cheese to my macaroni {juno reference}. he has helped me move all my crap and then some across town, wandered through ikea with me {#500daysofsummer!}, put together the impossible ikea furniture i bought (a lengthy process), and whisked me away camping with his fam last weekend.
i didn't know i could have it this good. i propose his nomination for 'boyfriend of the year'.

No comments: