Sunday, August 26, 2012

these is my words

the other night i laid on mr. k's lap reading 'these is my words' while he watched pre-season football. and it was rather perfect, him doing his thing, me doing mine.

mr. k mentioned to me a quote he picked up from 'white collar':
"i sat watching the game and my girl was there with me reading a book, 
and that's when i knew i was the luckiest guy in the world".

i love that quote because i love to read. i like to watch football but i prefer college over nfl, and i prefer reading over sports any day. he's fine with me reading, not paying attention to the game, just like i'm fine with him watching and playing with my hair. it's a nice comfortable unspoken agreement. 

i have made good on my new year's resolution to read more books. 

i just finished 'these is my words' and cried like a baby. i shed a few tears when dumbeldore died in harry potter, but i sobbed for a solid ten pages at the end of this book. it is fantastic. i want to re-read it immediately and underline my favorite passages, or start on the sequel. i can't decide. 


the characters are real and dynamic. i found myself wrapped up in sarah {the heroine's} words, agreeing with her sentiments and falling in love with captain jack elliott alongside her. i wholeheartedly agree with ali that captain jack elliott is the finest, most imperfectly perfect fictional man. ever. i've always liked my men manly, and that he is. strong, good-hearted, and stubborn. sarah surmises it by saying, "that man makes me feel like a have my bonnet on backwards."

"i might like to have someone courting me. but it would have to be someone who is a square shooter and who has a train load of courage. and it would have to be someone who doesn't have to talk down to folks to feel good, or to tell a person they are worthless if they just made a mistake. and he'd have to be not too thin...i want a man who can hold me down in a wind. maybe he'd have to be pretty stubborn, i don't have use for a man that isn't stubborn. likely a stubborn fellow will stay with you through thick and thin"

i wish i had listened to my momma and ali months ago, when they urged me to read it.
 i promise you this-- if you read it, you will love it. 
you will laugh and cry out loud and thank me for the suggestion. 

now get yourself over to a barnes & noble. stat.

1 comment:

whitney harris said...

i absolutely loved that book! so good. i'm glad things are going well for you beck. i miss you! i hope that i can see you sometime soon. maybe when we come to utah in december?