Sunday, October 14, 2012

rumor has it

junior year of high school a rumor circulated that i was topless in a boy's truck. oh, the irony. i knew no boy with a truck and i had yet to kiss a boy.  anyone who actually knew me knew the complete hilariousness and far-fetchedness of the rumor, so it was simple to brush off.

lately, the rumor mill has been buzzing at work about mr. k and i. which, i understand-- rumors fly when you're dating a co-worker. the most recent rumor was awful though: mr. k proposed and i said 'no'. it escalated so far that people were saying i spit in his face, which broke my heart and sparked anger. so many people asked me if that really happened. apparently the rumor had hit facebook.

monday calvin came and sat next to me while i was making signs and said, "so, i heard...."
i was fed up. "i am so sick of that rumor. i wish i could get my hands on whoever made that up"

he smiled with glee. "i did", he said, "to see how fast it would spread"

all i saw was red.
i hardly ever yell.
like, really yell. it happens maybe twice a year.

this was one of those times. i can't quite recall the two minutes i passionately hollered at him but i let him have it. profanities and all. calvin had unleashed the beast within. my friend looked into the room with eyes wide as saucers. i felt like the hulk, only less green.

he of course didn't apologize but slunk away like the immature coward he is, to tattle to my boyfriend. mr. k took my side, obviously. calvin dug his own grave by confessing (a rather idiotic move on his part); therefore, i feel no shame informing co-workers the degree of his deceit and intense level of insensitivity. thus far everyone is on my side and has applauded my rampage after his immature behavior.

one thing that still bothers me is i have no way of knowing who thinks that rumor is real, nor can i undo the damage calvin did with his thoughtless and cruel lie. he used my personal life as entertainment, in a professional atmosphere, which is not appropriate on any level. the whole experience has made me much more wary of gossip and the destructive game it evolves into.

one thing i have learned: next time you're informed "rumor has it" be sure it's either adele singing or factual from the source.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to be!! Way to stand up for yourself! Jerk face Calvin.

Chelsie and Michael Sheflo said...

Wha??? Wow, girl, you rock! Way to let him have it! Kinda wish I woulda been there to witness it ;)

ajo said...

Are you serious? What a douche bag. Douche. Bag.