Wednesday, January 5, 2011

my last first

today was my last first day of school.

this fall, amidst the bouquets of newly sharpened pencils, colorful leaves, and deep-rooted excitement of the true nerds at heart, it will be just another day for me. as the buses come round and lunches are packed, as thousands mill around byu and campuses the world-round, i will not be there. no backpack will grace my shoulders, as it has every glorious fall morning for the past... 16 years? goodness gracious. how did i become this old?
it is excitement and fright, with a dash of nostalgic sadness, all whisked in one. 

i officially applied for graduation, today. less than an hour ago.
come april 2011, i will be a college graduate. 
mark your calenders, cause this girl is gonna be wearing one goofy gown and square hat.

a college graduate. such reverence for the term. my first day of kindergarten, i believed only ancient married people could ever attain such a feat. 


fortunately for me, i am a single spry young thing. 
every one always assumed i would be swept up freshman year by some hunky rm, endowing his love and my commitment with a big rock on my left hand.
but didn't ya hear-- i have beat their stereotypic assumption! i have {nearly} attained an education without an attached hubster.

not that there's anything wrong with getting married while in college-- heck, if mr. right had come along i'd probably be eating my words-- but i'm happy to have proven all those assumptive people in my home town wrong.

now that i am at the stage of telling people i graduate in just 3 {4... depending on how you count} months, everyone's next question is:
well, miss record, what are you going to do with your life?!
which, well done. i commend your excellent and unique question. i've only heard it a bazillion times at this point.
here is my answer:

"after graduating in triumph from byu, i shall go on a safari. marry a sultan. and have a pet panda"

correct me if i'm wrong {not really}, but that would be a pretty rad life. when they get those skeptical glazed eyes, then i confess my reeeeaaaal answer, which is nowhere near as exciting: 

work--keep painting for home depot. by that point, full-time.
study for the GRE and increase my vocabulary exponentially.
take the GRE and live to tell the tale. 
begin the lengthy process of applying to graduate programs.
go where the wind blows me fall 2012 to obtain my masters in psychology, specialized in organizational behavior. because i have discovered, i can't handle the crazies (other people are far more qualified to do that).

everything is subject to change because, hey, that's life.
but that is my plan for now.

also, i plan to revel in my "year off" education by cooking, all the time.
and reading books i have neglected.
and writing-- this blog, a few projects i've had on the back burner, and possibly something new.
and learning a few tips from my momma about sewing, cake decorating, etc.
and having crazy adventures with many friends.

so that's my plan, stan.

2 comments:

Chelsea Brynn said...

i think you forgot about the part where you hang out with your bestie nonstop.

Heather said...

i will totally do the sewing, cake decorating, and cooking with you!! And we can study for the GRE together too.