Friday, April 8, 2011

butter-me-up

dear future lover, 

flattery can get you a looooong way.

not the cheese-ball-flattery caked in sarcasm-and-sexism-- the sincere kind.
the small, kind compliment that i'll remember, that makes me smile inside. the compliment that makes me realize you notice the trite and minute details that accumulate who i am.  
when you grant me such flattery {as i hope you will} not only will i love you for it but i will remember it, in future mornings.  and in the early light of those dawns, i will muse over my reflection and catch a glimpse of hope that your words just might be right.

i tend to get squeemish when certain boys call me "gorgeous" or what-not, because i catch the vibe of a creep-mongrel who prefers mackin' as opposed to anything else. not that this is a regular occurrence {the compliments or the mackin'} mind you, dear future hubster, but these compliments... they feel forced with underlying ulterior motives, and i cannot accept them nor do i believe them.

and so, i welcome with open arms sincere boys. like you. because i hope that when you say something, you mean it. and when you look me in the eyes, you will see much more than done-up eyes or smudged eyeliner. you will see me.  

i do believe the world is
in short supply of 
genuine men. 
sincere. kind. authentic. that is the man i want, one day. 

you can still tell me when i have broccoli in my teeth, remind me to eat when i'm ms. grumpy-pants, or lightly embarrass me by telling the story of when i fell up the stairs to our friends... but
when you spontaneously butter-me-up, i will melt,
 and in return, i promise to fawn over your many manly qualities.
in which case, you'll most likely get lucky
 so, i'd take note if i were you.

sincerely, 
 your future girl {who doesn't mind a little genuine flattery}

1 comment:

Chelsea Brynn said...

oh my gosh. i love this. i can't wait to read this at your future bridal shower/ reception/ rehearsal dinner. so everyone can 1) hear what a fantastic writer you are 2) how completely darling you are 3) how perfect your future hubster (LOVE this) is 4) and how perfect you two are together