Friday, June 29, 2012

goodbyes

i have this thing about goodbyes-- i hate them.


within twenty-four hours i said farewell to my brother, sister, and parents.


 my brother is now safely settled in arizona, starting his residency to become an anesthesiologist. smart cookie and soon-to-be rich cookie, if ya know what i'm sayin'. 

he has been my adventure buddy for nearly 23 years, pushing me to try new things.  he is that voice in my head that tells me i can jump with a bungee cord around my ankles, promises me my heart will mend, and laughs when i try something too spicy. he has doted on me since i was little. despite the 8 year difference between us, we are close. we always have been and i hope we always will be.


i am currently in the denial stage-- it seems silly that i won't see him at sunday dinners, or that we can't just meet up for a burger or people-watch at nordstroms {which is a blast, btw}. his opinion has always been important to me and without him here in the same state everything seems different.












 








 


 


  





saying goodbye to my sister was hard because i don't have denial to comfort me. she married her hubster dan-the-man when i was just 15 so we've been living separate worlds for 8 years. when we do get to spend inordinate amounts of time together, i love it! the past month, as well as my time in germany {march}, were absolutely wonderful.

i held back the tears when i hugged her little family in front of the ferris wheel, but i fell apart when it came time to say goodbye to her. she is my favorite sister. probably because she's my only sister,  but more likely because she rocks. tea parties and dress-ups were fun when we were little but now she gives such sage advice and always makes me laugh. her happiness is infectious and her caring tangible. she is an amazing example in me in everything she does and i can't imagine my life without her, dan-the-man, and the munchkins.





 
















thankfully my parents return from arizona in a few days, so i'm not a complete orphan.


lucky for me, i get to spend forever with my fam. that makes the separation of siblings for several months seem easier, since i know i have an eternity of shenanigans and time together ahead.

No comments: