Friday, November 23, 2012

holiday + food + shopping = love

black friday has come and gone. with it, i give a huge sigh of relief! as the sign captain at home depot, i feel like black friday lasts an entire month! the appliance sale begins two weeks before black friday-- this meant a lot of preperation and christmas signing way before black friday was even on other people's minds. 

i made this sign right after halloween: 
 and i made two of these babies for the entrance and appliance showroom


my life-saver sherron helped me make presents with posterboard and ribbon to advertise big savings on fridges and washer&dryer suites. 
i cut our usual square signs to look like gift tags and began signing til my hand hurt. 
i was also kept plenty busy with christmas tree signs {it's beginning to look a lot like christmas!!!} and signs for store fundraisers for the homeless shelter and hurricane sandy victims.



before long, the actual and dreaded black friday crept up. i made signs for 3 days in preparation for the gigantic ad. wednesday night i stayed at the store until nearly 1 am with managers and supervisors, making sure everything would be ready to go friday morning. near the end we were slap-happy-- it made the night not so bad after all.
also, i want to mention how very grateful i am that my work was closed on thanksgiving. my heart broke for employees who had to work on thanksgiving because of the black-friday-outrageousness that has evolved {ahem, wal-mart, sears, malls...}. 



 don't you love the blackmail i caught of my managers sleeping on the memory foam sample?
also, the giant teddy bear is nearly as tall as me! 55" vs. 65"


after a little bit of sleep and a morning of baking my famous "sweet potato apple bake" mr. k picked me up and we headed to his parents' for THANKSGIVING! {my sister and her family are in germany, brother in arizona, and my parents drove to st. george to spend the holiday with my aunt, uncle, and counsins}.
 it was my first thanksgiving away from family but the kays kept me laughing. i ate pie until i hurt, we played aggravation and the girls won {skyfall! kakah!} and i got to talk to my family members on the phone.
 baby kyson
 the kids
 one of mr. k's brothers and his girl
 mr. k and i
 apparently licking runs in the family
 my sweet potato apple bake


black friday morning i arrived to work at 4:30 am. by 5 am {when we opened} the line had wrapped around the corner of the building! there were no crazy fights or yelling-- customers were rather civilized. i can not fathom working at wal-mart or somewhere where a bunch of crazies are stampeding the aisles. last year i nearly got taken out by an artificial christmas tree but this year i didn't have any close calls.

by the time i left at 2:30 pm i was exhausted, through and through. i took a good nap to rejuvenize myself. 

i did not brave the crowds of black friday shoppers but i did plenty of online shopping. i will pay shipping&handling any day over waiting in ridiculous lines. i simply must share my steals with you-- i am a proud bargain shopper! 

for only $125: 
12 {twelve!} movies
seasons of psych
the sean connery "james bond" pack
{for my papa}
1 pair of mint green skinny chords
1 pair of earrings
{online amazon, target, and old navy}

happy black friday to all, and to all a good night!

No comments: