Friday, May 18, 2012

a yogurt quest

i recently undertook a very serious quest-- to find the best yogurt in america {according to my tastebuds}.


i thought i was not a yogurt girl. turns out, i love the stuff.
when i was visiting my sister in germany i ate this blueberry concoction of heavenly dairy and i was fully converted. they don't have the same fda regulations as we do, so who knows what was it in, but me oh my! i am all about the texture of food, and this german yogurt was creamy without strangling your uvula and triggering the gag reflex.

upon my return to america, i was forlorn to no longer play all the day long with my sister, the kiddos, and her awesome and funny husband. to a lesser degree i was also melancholy about the food situation-- no more german chocolate around every corner and no more german yogurt of the gods.

and so the quest began.
yoplait-- definitely out. i mean, the vanilla is okay with granola but something about that texture. fruit at the bottom? gross. i mean, eww. naaaasty!

so i broadened my horizons and discovered the array of yogurt at harmons.
i bought about 8 different brands of yogurt, with varying flavors, determined to find the best.
and i did. trial and error my friend, trial and error.

a non-inclusive list of worst to best:
if ever you thought almond milk was a good base for yogurt, think again unless you like to dry heave.

if ever you thought yogurt with a kangeroo on it would be adventurous, you're probably right. but not in the way you're hoping.

if ever you thought tillamook yogurt would be delicious because their cheese is phenomenal, congratulations! because that is 100% accurate. {also, according to my bestie, it's because tillamook is from oregon and therefore wonderful. probably true}. i'm loving the marionberry, huckleberry, and peach.

the BEST yogurt there is, in my humble yogurt opinion, is noosa. creamy and good it's the closest thing i've found to german yogurt. every time it is perfect. 8 oz. with 18 grams of fiber and not a million calories. quite filling. blueberry is by far my favorite, but mango and strawberry are pretty snazzy too.


so there you have it. you are welcome, for saving you the trouble of trying a million different yogurts. go buy some tillamook or noosa. you'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

I am obsessed with the mango Noosa! Could eat it all day everyday. I love that their yogurt is made in Colorado and that the ingredient list is so short. Win!