Tuesday, April 20, 2010

unwritten rule-- take 2

the unwritten rules... besides dating your home teacher there's another which is just as, if not more, vital to follow:

do NOT establish a relationship beyond the bounds of
TA and Student.

...but it's not my fault...
          and it's not really reality.

i'm breaking this unwritten rule in my mind.  subconsciously. i have had 3 dreams {in a row!} which despite their ridiculous scenarios of Home Depot music-videos and blow-up slides in a skeptical backyard, the major plot-line involves Student and i dating, holding hands, and. . . kissing. frankly it's weirding me out. and the weirdness has diseased not only my subconscious but has invaded my conscious thoughts as well.

i'm not gonna lie-- i think Student is cute. i find his constant singing adorable, his piano major interesting... but here's the danger.  because of my recurring dreams i have broken the cardinal rule and begun to find his emails endearing and his Frankl essay inspirational and telling about said Student's character.

we've always gotten along, Student and i.  we've had several interactions throughout the semester. but the dreams sprung from our interaction last thursday.

he emailed me, asking if i was going to hold a review session. he came. we chatted before, just him and i, while we waited for everyone else to come and the clock to strike 1:00. at the conclusion of the review session i invited those who had come in late to move to the conference room where i could catch them up.

Student came too.
      and sat next to me.
after 5 minutes everyone was caught up.  o n e by o n e they exited.
                but he stayed.
finding myself alone, in a conference room, with attractive Student caught me quite off guard.
                       gah!

while explaining in further detail a few concepts to be on the test the conversation evolved into prolonged casual chit chat not even relevant to psychology... which lasted longer than typical TA-student conversations, upwards of 15 minutes.

after mutual hesitation and an ever-so-slightly awkward pause we both gathered our  notebooks and pencils and laptops and made our way to the elevator, which we rode down together for 9 floors, conversing easily.  as we exited the metal chamber our footsteps carried us in the same direction; we resumed walking and talking together; he didn't stray from my side until finally bidding, "see ya later" as i entered the library and he ventured home to take a nap.

if that wasn't odd enough he sent me an email at phase 2 of 3 dreams which was really nice, basically telling me i'm the best and helped him pass the class.  every TA's dream.
i'm reading too much into things, i know, but it's because of my blasted cursed dreams that i have a hope he'll brake precedent and ask me out... because after tomorrow I won't technically be his TA anymore.  my subconscious is driving me crazy.  i don't actually think i want to go out with him but he's so charming in my dreams that my subconscious has tricked me into thinking i do...
confusion? yes.  incredibly so.

          after tomorrow the unwritten rule isn't so applicable...
but can i still break it if it was once in effect?

i would really appreciate not experiencing another home-teacher-eque disaster because of my dismissal of
 the unwritten rule.

2 comments:

Chelsea Brynn said...

this is hilarious to me. i love code names. in fact i want one. i'm not really sure what it could be though. and i love your other post too about practically living at holly's. it just makes me smile because you deserve to walk around in your underwear. after you get married its a bit less exciting. :)

sarah said...

hey.
once upon a time, when i was interested in dating my TA, i used to do that same sort of stuff.
emails.
lingering after class.
extra help.
etc.
welp, he finally asked me out and it was so grand for about 1.4 months until i decided i was done. (it only lasted so long because i felt i should at least hold out til the end of the semester...because imagine how awkward THAT would be...)
ANYWAY.
moral of the story:
date student.
haha. i love this. keep me posted!