Friday, August 20, 2010

cloudy with a 95% chance of men

the forecast for the month: a continual downpour of men.
 there wasn't a cloud in the sky before, but as suddenly as utah weather shifts, my life has shifted to accommodate cumulus clouds of boys.

there have been some interesting interactions, to say the least.

such as:

tobacco boy.  
it is 5:30 in the a.m. this boy, who works on night crew, approaches me. i'm paying him no attention as i'm clearly working when he starts in:
"i have a silly question"
"what's that?" (i avert my eyes. the oatmeal is already churning in my stomach. . .)
"are you single?"
blasted question. of course i am. i was in a wedding all yesterday to remind me...
"yes... i'm single"
why didn't i just lie?!

 yata yata yata.
i can't recall what was said {as evidenced by the 'yatas'} because my mind was racing with perfect responses to that dreaded question. it was far too early, and i am not a morning person.  i feel some justification in that my synapses weren't all firing prior to sunrise.  all my wonderful responses lit up my amygdala (the fear center) after the fact. blast.
do not fret though. i am not going out with this creeper.  turns out, he's a real winner. as in, his own brother, cousin, and acquaintances all forbade me from going out with him. this boy, michael jordan maag {no, i kid you not, that is his name} has been in and out of jail. plus he chews.  and i'm not talking gum.

cuddle boy.
once upon a time i went star gazing with some friends.
a simple fact:
star-gazing leads to cuddling.
it's practically a law of the universe.
 i discovered this.
it wasn't during star-gazing but after.  when we gathered up the blankets to clear out. he wrapped his arm around me, enveloping me in a warm blanket. i was cold so i did not protest. he left his arm around my shoulder for some time, pulling me closer and closer until we were practically hugging. i love to cuddle. it had been such a verrry long time since having a boy's strong arms around me. *sigh*
cuddle boy then insisted i ride back with him, in addition to securing our seating arrangements next to each other for the ride home. he slumped to rest his head on my shoulder  but the bumpy canyon prohibited such a situation. after some time and heavy eyelids, i let my head roll beneath his neck and he rested his head on mine. after stumbling with sleep out of the car he called me to the pavement with his arms outstretched. mmmmm. boy hugs.

may i point out, that clearly, he has been the bold initiator of all of this?

i tried not to think anything of it but truth be told, the oxytocin released in my brain had me all giddy we cuddled.
{don't believe me? read the female brain}

 "when it comes to men and women, not all cuddles are created equally.
A 20-second hug floods the female brain with oxytocin, which creates such a sense of connection... 
men also release oxytocin through affection and tenderness, but their brains are more apt to link it to sex." 
(quote from review of the book)


the next day my friend jeff tells me he talked to cuddle boy. and  cuddle boy told jeff he thinks i like him.
i found this incredibly irritating -- this pompous boy believes i have legitimate feelings for him when he clearly initiated everything and it was cold and i was tired?
plus, i was informed that 3 days prior to star gazing he was making out with an 18 year old until 5 in the morning. classy.
remind me not to hug him for 20 seconds, so as not to trust him.

ladder boy.
i fell from a ladder and he caught me.
 kidding!
but close. . .
i was, in fact, on a big orange ladder when ladder boy and another co-worker walked past, whispering and laughing.  i descended down the steps and caught their stunned silence at my presence.

"what were you guys talking about?"
i asked with raised eyebrows.
"nothing"  
ladder boy chimed as our fellow co-worker laughed, calling to ladder boy as he walked away, 
"you're on your own man"
by this point my curiosity is definitely peaked.
i kept pestering him. finally he said,
"well, we were thinking that if he shook the ladder and i caught you you'd have to go out with me"
brilliant smooth man. i laughed and played along.
then he said,
"if i promise not to be creepy {in reference to tobacco boy}, would you go out with me?"
i was taken aback.
"seriously?"
"seriously"
. . . . . . 
"okay!"
"great!"
and that was that. we're going out tomorrow. it will definitely be an adventurous date. he's keeping me in suspense of the activity.

lumber boy.
there's really no story here. i met him yesterday at work.
he transferred from colorado.
he's tall and nice and nice looking;
easy to get along with and from first impression, a hard worker.
i definitely like him as a human being and there could be interest in mr. lumber boy. but it's much too early to tell anything. i know his name and his apron size, and not much else. i'm content that he smiles whenever he sees me and stops what he's doing to talk. good, right? we'll see.


i have enjoyed the blue cloudless skies and sunny single-hood
but... 
with more clouds rolling my direction,
  i can't object the humid overcast and potential storm.

1 comment:

Ali said...

So funny! I hope the new apartment is good. Can't wait to be there soon!!