Friday, August 6, 2010

reading between the lines

i love crawling into a book.
 forgetting what's outside my window and creeping into another world entirely.

often times i believe the characters are real. that if i fetch an extensive enough yellow pages, there they'll be--  ginny, caulder, & smitty. matilda & mr. watts, frequently called popeye. katniss flanked by peeta and gale. and of course, i can't neglect looking up janie and tea cake-- check in on them, along with the rest.

to me, their story continues past the written word. my subconscious forgoes their fictitious nature due to feeling: they feel real to me.  as i am introduced to a character i laugh and cry and hurt with them. i see how my static first impression is rounded by experience and growth. i grow with them, learning things i could never any other way. they have become a part of me, just as any friend does. they are my friends. i want to know how their story is evolving, today. i question their motives for this and their reasoning for that yesterday.

with their story bound together, it's a simple task to read from beginning to end and fill in the details along the way. in my hands i hold their account, their outcome, the causes and events.

it would be grand to have a sneak peak at the final chapter of my life. to know what decision i can make today that  might lead me there. i'd even settle for a few lines at the conclusion of the current chapter i'm writing

but alas, 
c'est la vie. 
{such is life}


i better get back to typing up my story. tomorrow's a new day with no room for backspacing what's already permanent.


*i am beyond obsessed with the hunger games books. i have to pace myself: go to work. now eat food. now pack up your bedroom.  okay, now you can read.  
isn't it wonderful to fall in adoration with a book and its characters so much so that most nothing else matters? 
bliss {in a nerd-like fashion}

1 comment:

Ali said...

Oh man I love Hunger Games! When Heather and I were in Steamboat that is practically all we did. I can't wait for the third one to come out!