Monday, March 28, 2011

a good smelling man

of all my years resisting a man's broad build and his rough hands or blue eyes, there is one thing i am powerless against-- a good smelling man.  


it is not often that the man-smell weakens my knees. i was sure i was going crazy as fogginess clouded my brain with his mere presence. he has a very potent smell-- but it's not axe (thank heavens) and it's not his shampoo. it's him


so i did some research. ya know, to reclaim my sanity. here's what i found:
*disclaimer-- i don't believe biology explains everything, but it certainly is an interesting idea


"each person has an odor print as unique as their fingerprint. this is influenced by diet, gender, heredity, health, medication, occupation, and mood. odor is a communication system; a statement about who we are... women inherently have a keener sense of smell than men, and their ability to smell peaks at ovulation when olfactory sensitivity increases 1000 fold."


ok. i'm not crazy. my olfactory sensitivity is just on high-alert. 

"a 2002 study found women prefer the scent of men with genes somewhat similar to their own over the scent of nearly genetically identical or totally dissimilar men."


so when you're not lovin the natural smell of your man-- run. because you'll either have crazy babies because your genes are identical, or they're so dissimilar you run the risk of birthing an ostrich. 


it is quite difficult to not think of kissing someone when they smell so good {curse you, acqua di gio and fierce cologne!}, but when no cologne is needed and they still make you swoon...you know you're in for it.

i need to not smell a certain boy anymore. because when i smell him, i remember when i kissed him. and when i remember kissing him i want to kiss him again. and i simply can't, for a host of reasons and variables.
perhaps i should follow ashley judd's lead {someone like you} and request to have my olfactory bulb removed so as to prevent future smell-swooning


p.s. sorry ali- i know you hate the word "swoon" but i had to use it. 

1 comment:

Simone said...

Oh Chica!!!! I can't tell you enough how much I love reading your blog!!! This is totally making me look like a crazy in the airport while I am ferociously laughing! (Silenly...I think...at least I think!...since I have my earbuds in listening to music!)If not, can you imagine what I look like...Maybe like when Huntman erupts in his big hearted laughter with the big sounds like he is breathing in at the same time ;-) Thank you so much for this gloreous writing that you share with us!!!