Monday, March 29, 2010

confessions of a shopaholic

Hi.  My name is Becky, and I'm a shopaholic.

I remember hearing somewhere that you shouldn't go shopping when you're tired, hungry, or emotional.  Well, today was my lucky day because I was all 3 of those when I went in exploration of a hat.  I ended up buying half the mall.

Truth of the matter is, I'm an emotional shopper.  Some people gorge themselves on maraschino cherries or something else really disgusting-- I shop.  It's not that I drop $500 on a Burberry bag or True Religion jeans {neither of which I have because the price tag on those babies makes my eyes burn}.  My mother's daughter, I excel at bargain shopping-- if there was a competition, I would get at least a bronze.  And even though I realize I could save 100% by not swiping my card to obtain those special deals, the allure of discounts and the seductive "sale" signs placed in store windows draw me to browse, and from there I'm a gonner and voluntarily hand over my card.   
Before you judge though, listen to my findings of the day-- they're pretty incredible:
  •  2, count them 2, jackets for $15.  That is unheard of.  Granted they aren't the nicest things on the planet but dang are they cute!
  • 2 shirts for $12
  • 2 hats for under $20
  • And the long coveted kacki jacket from The Gap now belongs to me... because it was $30 off.
I recognize that this is beyond my budget-- believe me, I know.  But today was a little sad, carrying over from yesterday (see post below) and being reamed out by a customer because the double-sided molding is more expensive than the single-sided.  So to alleviate a frown and replace it with momentary glee I went shopping.  It's not a fix-all, but for an instant the magic of consumerism dissipated my sadness, and I have renewed hope for tomorrow because I get to wear MY kacki jacket from The Gap!

*Disclaimer: I'm really not a shopaholic-- I go on really really long stretches where I don't shop at all {other than for tampons and contact solution, and bananas and cookie dough and milk-- the necessities}.  And I have a job so it's slightly feasible for me to shop occasionally.  And due to the declining amount of time I spent "getting ready" in the mornings I was in dire need of another hat.  I just ended up with 2.

No comments: