Wednesday, March 31, 2010

didn't your mother teach you not to stare?


It’s one of those things every child is taught: don’t pick your nose, don’t talk to strangers, don’t run with scissors, don’t point, don’t talk with your mouth full, and definitely do not stare.
I know every boy has a mother… but I wonder if a certain mother missed out on teaching her son this key social norm, or, more probable, that he choose to disregard her counsel.  Either way, today resulted from either neglect or willful disobedience.
I’m standing at register 2 in my didn’t-have-time-to-shower-today glory preparing to take a nibble at breakfast—a lovely glazed doughnut.  Luke {a lot attendant} is watching me.  I can feel his gaze.  My eyes shift to the side where he’s standing with his arms crossed across his flabby chest and dirty apron, his gaze disconcerting and a subtle smile even more so.  I take a bite and can tell in my peripheral he’s still staring. How long has he been focused on my eating habits?

My phone rings- it’s Leigh at register 1- merciful girl to rescue me from the situation! {she did this twice more- bless the phones at the Depot}
      Leigh: “Becky, I worry about you sometimes”
      Me: “Why?”
      Leigh: “Because Luke is staring at you.  He’s worse than James”
      Me: “James stares?”
      Leigh: “Yes. You’re just too cute for your own good”

 I felt so relieve someone else had noticed this oddity.  Actually, she wasn’t the only one.  I ventured over to register 1 {since we were slower than slow on a snowy Wednesday March morning} to talk to Leigh and Lindsay and escape his awfully awkward stare.
    Lindsay: “What the heck is going on?!”
    Me: “I don’t know!  You saw, right?”
    Lindsay: “Yeah, he’s been staring at you for 5 minutes.  He’s still staring at you.”
 Well. The staring died down, slightly.  Andy noticed too.  He wanted to call Luke out on it, thinking it incredibly odd, but it might have drawn more attention to the fact.
  
Weird start to a morning.  Perhaps his stoner-stare was just directed at me in a semi-creepy way.  Then I overhear Luke and Jessie talking, and I distinctly hear my name. 
     Me: “What are you guys saying about me?”
    Jesse: “Oh nothing.  Just guy talk.”

I do NOT even want to know.  They’re both smiling.  Ew.
Then Jessie stands directly in front of me, closely, intently focusing on my apron, right around the chest region. 
    Me: “What are you doing?!?
    Jesse: “I just wanted to look at your apron today.”

Riiiight.  I know it’s not much to look at but please redirect your gaze to my eyes, up here, rather than below my neck.   Thanks.  No luck…  so I redirected his gaze to the beautiful silver and white hammer on the lower pocket of my orange apron.  What is with these boys today?!
Ring ring.  Once again Leigh saved me with a phone call.
  
So please, do as your mother taught and don’t stare.  Not only is it impolite, it’s really really eerie. 

3 comments:

Ali said...

Um . . . EEEW. Boys are gross. That's all there is to it.

Lindz said...

bahahahaha oh gotta love the depot boys!!!

Kelson said...

Hmmmm....sounds like a classic case of sexual harrassment in the work place.....