Wednesday, March 17, 2010

i forgot how these things work

Home Teaching: a priesthood duty.  Being the church's first source of help to families and individuals.  Called upon to visit {at least monthly} and serve those you are assigned to by your bishop, and take such single sisters on dates.
      Wait. . . that's not in the pamphlet. 

Tuesday Night, 10:45 p.m:
My phone rings.
     It's my home teacher.
          Huh.  Way to be on the ball, setting up an appointment and we're only half way through the month!   

"Hello?"
     "Hi"
         Random chit-chatting for a minute,  laugh a little (which is odd, even though we're friends-ish)

Slight awkward silence.
      Okay home teacher man, what is the purpose of this call?  I know you didn't call to just chat. 
           This Sunday would probably work for you and your companion to swing by and teach us lovely ladies.

"Do you have plans Friday?"
    "No, I don't think I have anything going on"
        Friday night?  That doesn't seem like it would be convenient for anyone to home teach or be home taught.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to the Volleyball game with me?"
      Oh! . .  A date!  It's been so long I forgot how these things work.  Hurry brain, process a reply! 
                   . . . . . . . 
          "Oh.  Sure.  What time?"
               Is this even allowed?  Home teacher and home teachee... Is there a rule against this? Probably an unwritten one.
                "Seven.  Want to get food before?"
                     It's definitely a date. 

. . . Yata yata yata . . .  

Yeah, I was ToTaLLY caught off guard.
I think we'll have a fun, grand, casual time.


But I'm slightly dreading it.  Because my roommates hypothesized, after I hung up the phone and informed them I had just been asked out by our home teacher, "what if you mess things up?" -- I do have a slight track record of doing such a thing-- because if I mess things up with this boy it's not like I'll never see him again.  I will.  At church, and when he comes to home teach me and my roommates to fulfill his priesthood responsibility.  What have I agreed to?! 

Oh well.  Worst case scenario it's awkward for 15 minutes, 20 max.

Wish me luck!

*unrelated side note: my 75 year old co-worker, Jesse, approached me at self-checkout today.  He draped his arm around my shoulder to give me a side hug, said "I just wanted to tell you I love you", and kissed my forehead.  He's so darling! Made my day.

*another unrelated side note: today at work I was called: doll, punkin, honey, sweetheart, and baby.  By customers, mind you.  Gotta love the Depot.

1 comment:

sarah said...

doll, punkin, honey, sweetheart, baby:
it is very much allowed to date your home teacher.
(that sentence was terrible.)
i am wondering how you got to be the one lucky enough to do so, while my greek-god-of-a-home teacher is still not dating me. and actually has ceased coming over after our really unfortunate encounter last month.
crap.
hey HAVE A FUN TIME!
:)
...also come sleep at my house. anytime.