Thursday, September 16, 2010

with or without you

day 7: a song that reminds you of a certain event

i have listened to this song oodles of times. sometimes on repeat. my brother indoctrinated me with a love for U2. in the eighth grade i determined it was my favorite song. this was a well-known fact among my wonderful group of friends. in the ninth grade when i was finally able to attend stake dances {oh, the coveted activities of 14 year old mormons} my best friend brittany and i raced up to the dj to request my favorite song. 

after the inevitable stake dance songs {i.e. blink 182's "all the small things" and the infamous "chicken dance" ( i shake my butt na na na na)} the soft base intro of U2 rose my hopes and joshua's nerve to ask me to dance. 

as we were shuffling our feet with distance enough for several book of mormons, he said, with a smile,
"you know, i requested this song for you, because i know it's your favorite"

my heart was already racing from dancing with the josh, so much so that the blood flow to my brain could not inhibit my blank reply of, 
"no you didn't. brittany and i did"

HAH!

 potentially one of the greatest awkward moments of my life!

he coughed to cover his mischievous line and we kept dancing. and despite our awkward 14 years i had a fondness grow for him in that moment to paramount my former baby crush. 
ironically, it is this song that best articulates the history of josh and i.

a few months after our memorable dancing escapade, we officially liked one another. heck, we even held hands! i quickly fell as much in love as a teenager girl could. when he "broke up" with me in an email 6 months later, i was devastated. 

over many years that fondness remained. it would momentarily be replaced by undeniable frustration but i always yearned for more than what friendship allotted. eventually, the teenage-love took on a new dimension as we grew into adults. i always thought we would end up together.

...that is...
until a twist of fate introduced his cousin into my life.
whom i subsequently fell in love with. but this was not a fickle teenage love of games and silence.  
love. real and true and magical and cliche as any hallmark card could convey.

i can live with or without josh. 
it's the cousin that i'm still learning how to manage without

*i'm not a huge smallville person, but this video has tom welling. 
and kissing.
and, well, who doesn't love that?!
plus it beats U2's video... sorry, bono.

No comments: